Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Painting Through Written Imagery

Recently, while going through a bunch of my old stuff, I found a treasure trove of things that had been tucked away & long since forgotten. As I was going through these things, I came across an old school binder overflowing with my writings. I found poems, lyrics to songs & partial writings galore. As I was going through the mass amounts of scribbled words & typed lines, memories flooded my mind with each piece of paper. Some I remembered the exact moment the lines came to me & some I could barely make out what I was writing or where my mind was going.

Some of what I wrote was pretty good....actually....really good! Matter of fact, some were so good that either I or my teachers had entered them into different poetry contests. Of the 12 different entries that were submitted over the years, I placed 1st three times, 2nd Place three times & 3rd Place two times & have been published 6 times! My first time submitting a poem, I took 2nd Place & I was only 12 years old at the time.

Besides the poetry, I've written a lot of lyrics/songs. Back in the late 80's, I started up a rock band with my friends. I was the going to be the lead singer & therefore I took it upon myself to write the lyrics to all of our songs. Over those next few years, my bandmates changed as did our band name & by the time I was in high school my current band was doing pretty good. My writing was also getting better & better. I even had quite a few songs copywritten! By the time I was in my Junior year of high school, the music scene had changed, the band broke up & so ended my days of writing lyrics although I continued to write poetry throughout the rest of my school days.

Upon reading these poems & lyrics & scraps of written lines, I'm amazed at some of the subject matter that I was writing about. Now keep in mind I started writing when I was 11 years old. I wrote some really great pieces about love...being in love...falling in & out of love...all the pain that's associated with love. I wrote about death & despair...deception & revenge. I also wrote A LOT of sexual stuff. All of which are great writings but surprising in the maturity of which I wrote them. I very much intend on posting some of those songs & poems on here...so keep your eyes open for some fun & interesting writings from years ago.

Interestingly enough, I stopped writing altogether by the time I finished high school. The 1 exception was a poem that a friend & I wrote in 2004 although that was more of an accidental writing then a planned out decision. My friend submitted it to a writing contest & it went on to be published in a poetry book. Minus that poem, I have not written in over 10 years...until I started my first blog in 2008. That blog was dedicated to my culinary endeavors & to keep family & friends up-to-date on my life but it still was more fun factual writings based on events. Last year I ended that blog as my journeys started to lead me down different paths. Now I'm writing much more fun & interesting blogs allowing my mind to fully stretch the boundaries & write what's inside & even some fantastical stuff too...just like my writings of yester year. I guess that I've always had the creativity in me to paint great written & verbal imagery. It's good to be writing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment